“Why would I want to train in a group atmosphere? Training one-on-one is better, right?” I get that a lot. The truth is, there isn’t a simple answer that fits across the board. I do believe there are tremendous benefits if you have the ability to train one on one with a trainer, but, there are also benefits to training with other people that you can’t get from one-on-one sessions. Here are just a few:
- Joining some sort of group to train for fitness, for a run, a bike race, or other event will automatically put you in a group of people who share a common ground. Doesn’t matter the reason someone is training, you have that you ARE training in common. Once we become adults and we stop hanging out on playgrounds, finding people you have something in common with isn’t quite as easy as it used to be. It can be a great way to make new friends and bond with old ones.
- The community provides support and positive interaction. Your peers can bring you up when you are down. They can motivate you when you don’t feel like it.
- You get to share with people who want to hear about your training. If your family glazes over when they hear about the amazing push-ups you did, or the millisecond you shaved off your run time, that’s because they don’t get it. They aren’t in it with you. Your fellow trainees are in it with you and they are invested. They want to hear about what you are experiencing because we as humans learn by comparison.
- You are part of a network of experience. As number three states, they want to hear about your experiences, you will also learn from them. It’s a win-win.
- There’s always someone you can call and invite to go for a quick run, get in a workout, or enter a race.
- By being a part of a community and giving and receiving within the group, you experience deeper personal empowerment and confidence. You just may find yourself stepping outside your comfort zone more often. And you know what they say about the comfort zone. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
- The most important thing, I think, is that it’s fun. We all need to have a little bit more fun in our lives, don’t we?